It’s okay to admit it.
Deep down, you know your skin mole is not a beautiful feature like Cindy Crawford’s iconic beauty mark.
Even though NHS UK indicates benign moles are rarely removed, many individuals are still searching for actionable advice on how to remove skin moles, for varying reasons:
Psychological distress related to cosmetic concerns, nuisance mole that is irritated by clothing or during shaving, and even due to ‘Chinese Feng Shui‘.
Not all people afford the hefty medical consultation fee and mole removal cost.
How much does it cost to remove a mole surgically?
What are the over the counter mole removal cream and recommendations?
Just read on, or click on below to go straight to the section.
- Skin Mole Removal Surgery Cost – How much?
- Mole Removal Cream Reviews: Over The Counter Options
- Where Is The Once Popular Dermatend OTC Mole Remover?
- Understand Types of Moles and Cancerous Moles (Melanoma)
- Can Flat Moles be Removed?
- Mole Removal Cream vs Surgery: Pro and Con Comparison
- Mole Removal Cream Recommendations and Comparison
Skin Mole Removal Surgery Cost: How Much?
Many people feel hesitant on the surgery approach, as surgical treatment could cause pain and discomfort with scarring risk, whilst some find visits to doctor are time consuming and embarrassing.
Moreover, visits to the doctor or dermatologist for removal of skin mole could be costly.
According to a report from The New York Times:
Ashley Lanning, 28, of Oregon was seen by a nurse practitioner for a mole removal, the tab came to $915.46 — “way more than I’d anticipated,” she said. The growth was scraped off with a scalpel and no stitches were required.
Kyle Snow Schwartz, 26, went to a dermatologist at New York University Medical Center to have a wart removed from his foot. The visit took five minutes.. The invoice from the billing office: $500.
So how much does it cost to get a mole removed?
The cost of surgical mole removal typically ranges from $150 to $500 for the first single mole, with additional treatment cost (and consultation fee) will be imposed if more skin moles to be removed.
Doctors and dermatologists usually recommend the surgical approach after carry out the diagnosis, with the factors that influence surgical mole removal cost include:
- Quantity of Skin Mole. Higher number of moles require more/multiple treatments.
- Size of mole. Eg. Larger and deeper mole may cost more to remove.
- Location of mole. Eg. Moles around eyes may require additional injection prior surgery.
- Type of Surgery. Eg. Excision and laser mole removal cost vary.
- Type of Surgeon: Eg. Specialist / Dermatologist may charge more than general practitioner.
- Cost of living of the country and city where the surgery is taken.
- Others: Laboratory cost if your doctor wants to have the mole checked for malignant cells.
Additional useful info on how much does mole removal cost:
1. Most mole removal surgery service providers accept an array of payment options, including cash, check, and major credit cards. Some also allow flexible monthly installment payment or co-payments to make it easier for patients to get the required treatment procedures.
2. Health insurance plans generally do not cover cosmetic mole removal cost. However, if doctor considers the mole removal is medically necessary, due to (pre-)cancerous skin moles for instance, then the cost including additional fees for biopsy and laboratory test should be covered. Consult your health insurer to confirm the exact coverage of your insurance plan.
3. While you should consult your local medical institute or dermatologist for diagnosis to determine the exact cost, the estimation of the surgical skin mole removal cost range in US / UK / Canada / Australia indicated below (based on the pricing info on the respective health service providers website) could serve as your quick reference.
|Consultation||USD$200||£99 - £140|
|Skin Mole Removal||From USD$200 per lesion||CAD$500 (first mole)|
|Additional Mole Removal||£50 per mole||CAD$100 per mole|
|Shave Removal||£270 (single) / £350 (multiple)||£200|
|Surgical Excision||USD$300 - USD$600||£415 (single) / £665 (multiple)||£290|
|Laser Mole Removal||USD$150 – $400|
|Others / Remarks||Price includes consultation / surgery cost||£50 - £90 lab cost|
* Source of info (last accessed January 2017 with prices are subject to change):
– Dermacare Medical, New York.
– Bitar Cosmetic Surgery Institute, Virginia.
– Dr Rocheford Plastic Surgery, Woodbury, Minnesota.
– Sk:n Clinics, UK.
– Brighton Laser Clinic, UK.
– Mole removal London, WhatClinic.
– Dermatology Rejuvenation Center, Canada.
– Lakeside Skin Cancer Centre, Joondalup, Australia.
– Simply Beautiful Cosmetic Surgery & Laser Clinic, Australia.
– Eden Institute of Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery, Sydney, Australia.
When people are fazed by how much does it cost to remove moles surgically, it is natural that they look for alternatives, which is why OTC mole removal cream comes into the consideration.
Mole Removal Cream Reviews: Over The Counter Options
Still, comprehensive research have been done, in which we identify the quality skin mole removal creams based on customer review results, whilst we also indicate the key reason of why the other products do not make our recommendation list.
Here are the Top 2 Skin Mole Removal Cream that can help you to get rid of moles on skin:
Made up of proprietary formula with natural herbal extracts, NeviSkin is an all natural topical treatment cream formulated for skin mole removal, while Nevi-Skin is also used to treat other skin conditions like syringoma, skin tag, and warts including genital warts.
Each Nevi Skin container holds enough topical treatment cream to remove 10-30 small skin moles, in which its formulation causes destruction of the skin mole directly down to the root.
User reviews show Nevi Skin has been effective in removing skin moles, with examples of customer testimonials as below:
Mo Jo from Essex of England said: ‘I had a mole removed a few years ago which cost £300… I’ve removed 3 facial moles (all on my face) with this stuff and still have plenty left… I removed the lotion after 20 minutes as instructed using cotton wool and plenty of clean water. There was a slight tingling sensation for a while later but by the morning scabs had started to form. 2 of the treated areas stayed tender for a few days – one was quite a big mole so I’m not really surprised. I’m almost 2 weeks post treatment and 2 areas are clear, smooth and mole free. Where the large mole was there is still a tiny scab there but I can see it’s healing nicely and there won’t be any trace left soon.’
Bradley Hammond wrote: ‘Bought this being skeptical, but gave it a go and was not disappointed! Had a raised mole on my neck that I would catch quite often so looked at getting it removed. After a bit of research into this product I decided to go for it (what’s to lose?). And with one application it worked completely! Very surprised and pleased and saved me a lot of money. It worked! Definitely worth it.
Maribel feedback: ‘I used Nevi-skin on a mole that has been embarrassing me for years. It was right on my chin and I just felt like everyone that I spoke to was speaking to that darn mole instead of me! I got the treatment and used it straight away. The instructions were really easy to follow and the mole seemed to dry up straight away. It just looked different instantly. Over the next few days it disappeared. Two weeks on and I don’t even have a scar to remember it by. I’d definitely use it again. It’s so easy and it really works!’
Nevi-Skin mole and wart treatment cream is available to buy online worldwide (including in UK / Singapore / Philippines / Australia) via Nevi-Skin official website to ensure genuine product, with a total money back guarantee to any persons not 100% satisfied with the product within 60 days of purchase.
Wart & Mole Vanish cream contains cashew plant, fig plant, greater celandine plant, lemon, and other natural ingredients.
Similarly, this award winning mole removal product also received positive customer reviews, as you can check out what the users say here.
Other Products That Do Not Make The Top Recommendations List
#3. Though Virxcan Sun Skin Salve is a product formulate ‘for those suffering from unsightly external growths’ that received positive customer reviews including ‘remove unwanted irritating moles with great success’, it has limited testimonials to-date to demonstrate it can consistently work as an effective mole remover. >> Find out more
#4. Raspex Raspberry Cream with Sun Block that can be “used on skin moles problem” does not make the cut, due to the same reason of limited reviews to confirm its effectiveness as ‘mole remover’ beyond this product’s primary usage on sun damage and sun burns. >> Find out more
#5. Amoils Healing Natural Oils has success in its wart / skin-tag removal products, however its H-Moles Formula has received pretty negative user reviews that it does not work, with only 1.9 rating out of 5.0 based on 24 reviews. >> Find out more
#6. Trichloroacetic Acid Solution (TCA) is commonly used by dermatologists and physicians as chemical skin peel. However, TCA is less used due to its corrosive action on skin, while its high concentrations of 80% (used for mole removal) requires administration by a doctor or trained medical personnel to avoid damage the healthy skin. >> Find out more
#7. Alongside limited reviews that Bio-T mole remover ointment worked, many questioned its clinical results as the company seems unsure of its product with claims like “..it is believed that the natural ingredients in Bio-T strip the protein coating from virus..” and “it is believed the Bio-T recognizes the DNA in the cells are abnormal..” on their website.
#8. Zero Point Global Mint Matrix Oil Vera received positive customer reviews testifying it works great for arthritic knees and aches, but there are no concrete evidences confirming this product does what it says ‘to shrink moles’. >> Find out more
#9. Zenith Herbal Bloodroot Salve is a natural treatment for various skin disorders. Although this product generally received good feedback such as it worked well on small lump and skin lesions, there is no concrete feedback that it can effectively remove skin mole. Moreover, some people do not feel comfortable to use product containing the controversial bloodroot as ingredient. >> Find out more
#10. Newton Warts / Moles / Skin Tags has poor customer reviews on its effectiveness, and this is certainly not a popular mole remover in the market. As such, there are certainly better alternatives available. >> Find out more
While hardly see any mole removal cream at CVS / Boots UK or Walmart / Walgreens / Shoppers Drug Mart / pharmacy – Amazon do have some OTC mole removal products available.
In summary, here are the Top 2 Mole Removal “Cream of the Crop”:
#2 >> Learn more on Wart & Mole Vanish Cream
If you have done research on mole removal products that work, you might be curious:
‘I have found a lot of websites recommending Dermatend as the best natural mole removal cream, why is it not mentioned here at all?’
Good question, but the brutal fact is:
What you have read about Dermatend recommendation are all outdated info from tons of low quality websites, that their webmasters either do not follow the mole removal industry closely, or the webmasters simply do not care about updating their website to ensure constructive info are provided to help solving their visitors’ problems/needs.
Wonder why do we say that?
Dermatend Mole Removal Cream Recall By Manufacturer
Yes, you see it right:
FDA announced that Solace International Inc has recalled Dermatend products in August 2014.
If we visit Dermatend official website Dermatend.com now, it has been consistently observed that the website is offline, as shown below.
The official statements released from US FDA below indicated the voluntarily recall of Dermatend by manufacturer was due to safety reasons, but the exact concern was on possible delayed medical diagnosis of (skin) cancer on consumer-end instead of the all natural Dermatend product safety itself:
The Dermatend Original and Dermatend Ultra products are used to remove moles, warts and skin tags… A mole should be removed under the supervision of a dermatologist… Using these Dermatend products instead of seeking medical attention could result in delayed diagnosis of conditions such as cancer.
With the crux of concern is that skin mole patient may pursue OTC product like Dermatend for self-treatment and delayed diagnosis of conditions such as cancer (melanoma), it is important to consult doctor or dermatologist for diagnosis to determine the mole type.
Understand Types of Moles and Cancerous Moles
Generally, there are 3 different types of skin moles:
• Regular moles are usually symmetrical, have regular borders, uniform color, and are about the size of a pencil eraser or smaller. Regular moles are typically benign and friendly.
• Irregular moles, also called atypical moles, are unusual looking and can be a range of colour and flat or bumpy.
• Cancerous moles (Melanoma) may have blotchy edges and a general blotchy shape, versus normal moles with rounded with clean edges. Cancerous moles may change color or size dramatically in a short period of time. A normal mole only changes color and size slightly over a long period of time.
The ABCDE rule can help you remember the symptoms of Melanoma:
- A for ASYMMETRY: One-half of a mole or birthmark does not match the other.
- B for BORDER irregularity: The edges are irregular, ragged, notched, or blurred.
- C for COLOUR variation: Different shades of black, brown and pink may be seen.
- D for DIAMETER: The area is larger than 6 millimeters or is growing larger.
- E for EVOLVING: Changes in size, shape, colour, elevation.
Check out this pictorial guide by The Skin Cancer Foundation, or watch the video below for your better understanding on how to conduct self-examination on mole.
Look for the ABCDE signs of skin cancer moles, while monitoring your skin moles is important. If you see one or more of such symptoms, consult your doctor immediately.
If you find physical visit to doctor is time consuming and embarrassing, you can consider engage on-line doctors via established on-line healthcare service providers – such as EuroClinix and 121Doc Online Clinic, to seek first medical consultation.
Can Flat Moles Be Removed?
Trained medical personnel can remove flat moles by “shaving off” the mole at a superficial level just below the surface of the skin.
There are also OTC creams that are formulated to help get rid of flat moles, such as Nevi-Skin.
Mole Removal Cream vs Surgery: Pro and Con Comparison
As individual preference on mole removal solution may vary, here is the comparison of invasive mole surgery vs the non-invasive mole removal cream – for you to weigh the pros and cons.
Skin Mole Surgery
Safety: Medical diagnosis and treatment by doctor is safe, especially for (pre-)cancerous moles – putting aside the odd tragedy case like this report from Daily Mail UK.
Scarring: As eMedicineHealth points out, risks of invasive mole removal vary from infection to anesthetic allergy and nerve damage, alongside scar as one of the most common difficulties.
Cost: Normally below $40 (like Nevi-Skin) and the cream is sufficient to remove 2-5 growths (1/4″ or 5mm) or 5-25 smaller ones (1/16″ or 2mm).
Best Mole Removal Cream Recommendations
|Skin Mole Removal|
|External Genital Wart Removal|
|Non-Genital Wart Removal|
|Skin Tag Removal|
By now this comprehensive mole removal cream and surgery cost review guide should have given you adequate overview to make an educated decision.
With the mole removal cost is not typically covered by health insurance unless it is considered medically necessary, it is understandable that people are looking for cost effective alternatives.
Let’s wrap this up with the summary table below, comparing the two best mole removal cream in the market as aforementioned.
Both are all natural products with proven user results that the skin moles were effectively removed, while key difference between the two are their pricing, in which Nevi-Skin is much cheaper than Wart & Mole Vanish cream.
If you find this guide is useful, please share it out and click to LIKE us at Facebook – would you?
Which mole removal option will you pursue?
Do you have any skin mole removal experience to share?
Leave a comment below to share your thoughts!