You know it’s true:
While skin tags are harmless growths on skin that don’t require medical attention –
they can be unsightly and confidence-shaking, that many men and women wish to get rid of such skin lesions overnight.
Though medical treatment and surgical procedures are available –
some people opt for DIY home remedies as easy ways of removing skin tags without seeing doctor.
Let’s jump right in to look at 7 popular home remedies for skin tags removal at home, including how do they work, and what are the steps:
#1: Tying Off A Skin Tag with Floss String
The string you choose to remove them should be durable and tough and even sharp enough to penetrate deep and cut the blood supply.
People were initially using hair from a horse’s neck to remove skin tags. Today, people are using dental floss or a cotton thread to achieve good results.
In video below, Dr. Doug Willen share useful tips on how to remove a skin tag with string.
- Start by sanitizing and cleaning the affected area with some isopropyl alcohol.
- Look for the stalk which is the piece of skin that connects the skin to the tag.
- Wrap the string around the stalk securely, make sure it is tough enough but not too tight.
- Now place a bandage on the area to prevent it from getting irritated.
- Check it every day to see if the tag has fallen.
This is a trick that many individuals still utilize, that can be effective and painless to dispose of a skin tag. This technique basically removes or stop the blood flow to the skin label itself, abandoning it to shrink and wither up, before tumbling off as it would normally.
The video below demonstrates tying off skin tags on the side of waist with dental floss string.
When removing a tag at home using a thread, you should take due care. There will be little pain and discomfort but the results will be appealing.
#2: Apple Cider Vinegar Skin Tag Removal
Apple Cider Vinegar is acidic in nature, and for this reason it’s known to protect the skin against infections, cleanse the skin from the inside out, and sterilize wounds.
The acid it contains can destroy the tissue that form skin tags, and eventually the tag will fall off.
Although there’s no medical research that supports the claims that apple cider vinegar is effective in removing skin tags, there are testimonials that this home remedy helped.
- Clean the skin around the affected area with Luke warm water.
- Dry the skin thoroughly.
- Scratch the tag gently with a tooth pick and don’t let it bleed
- Now soak a medical cloth in apple cider vinegar and eventually apply it on the affected area.
- Repeat this process for 2 to 3 times daily.
However, some user experience revealed the potential risks of using apple cider vinegar on skin, so you should use it in the right amounts.
This home remedy is not recommended for removal of skin tags on delicate skin area, such as skin tags on face and eyelids, or skin tag on genital area like vagina penis — to avoid potential side effects like burning sensation, skin irritation, and scarring risk.
If you want to get rid of skin tags on delicate skin area or if you want faster results –
an alternative is to go for cost effective over the counter topical treatment, compared to the expensive surgical procedure which is usually the last resort.
#3: Skin Tag Removal with Toothpaste
The properties of toothpaste make it capable for skin tags removal, although it is obviously not developed for this purpose.
Toothpaste contain hydrogen peroxide which does more than just whitening teeth. If you apply toothpaste on a skin tag, the hydrogen peroxide in it can dry the skin and eventually cause the skin tag to fall off.
- Clean the affected area with Luke warm water and dry it thoroughly.
- Now place a small amount of toothpaste on your fingers and apply it on the tag.
- While you are applying, rub it and apply in circular motion.
- Repeat this several times a day for effectiveness.
#4: Use Lemon Juice To Get Rid of Skin Tag
As you can see from the video above, you can also mix the toothpaste with other ingredient like lemon juice, and leave them on the affected skin area overnight for skin tag to fall off on its own.
Lemon juice is rich in citric acid which is the main reason why it’s very effective in drying and falling skin tags. This citric acid helps to remove dead skin and at the same time dry out the skin. This can be applied severally in a week and you will notice the skin will start decomposing slowly.
- Before you apply the juice, make sure the affected area is clean and dried properly.
- Now get a fresh lemon and squeeze some juice from it.
- Dip a cotton wool on the juice and eventually apply it on the affected area.
- For effectiveness, apply it at least two times in a day for a couple of days.
#5: Skin Tags Treatment with Baking Soda
Baking soda has been in use for several years now to correct certain skin conditions. This product is a very powerful exfoliator that can be used effectively to remove skin tags and dead cells.
It is also a powerful astringent which makes the skin under the tag regain its lost elasticity, and narrow down the blood supply to the tag.
- Warm some water in a Bowl and allow it to settle for some time.
- Add some baking soda to the water and stir to form a paste.
- Apply this paste on the affected area. Make sure you are applying it in circular motion.
- Leave the paste to settle for some time before eventually clean the area with luke warm water.
- Repeat this several times a week and the results will be visible soon.
You can also add ingredients such as coconut oil to make the baking soda paste, as shown below:
#6: Skin tag Removal at Home – with Castor Oil
Castor oil is very effective in removing skin tags. However, its effectiveness increases when used together with baking soda. Its properties dries skin tags and eventually makes them fall off.
However, to apply it, you should first of all gauge your skin sensitivity to make sure you don’t develop other complications.
- Mix baking soda with castor oil to form a paste.
- Now clean the affected skin area and dry it thoroughly.
- Dab a small amount of the paste on the affected place.
- Cover the affected area with a small bandage to prevent the mixture from being wiped away.
- Repeat the process at least three times a week.
#7: Skin Tag Removal Home Remedy with Nail Polish
Nail polish works to suffocate the tag which will later cause it to dry off and fall. There is no scientific evidence to support this but most of the people claims that it works really well.
- Wash the affected area with warm water and eventually dry thoroughly.
- Now dab the nail polish on the skin tag and coat it completely.
- Cover the area with a bandage and sleep.
- In the morning, remove the bandage and remove the polish with the nail polish remover.
- Repeat it at least three times a week and the tag will eventually fall off.
The wisest decision is to first of all consult your doctor before you proceed with this home remedy because there are some safety and effectiveness concerns.