With Clinical Medicine & Research revealed HPV wart can cause discomfort to 51.7% of patients while adversely impacted the social or leisure activities of 38.8% patients —
Learning how to identify a wart is an important first step to get your quality of life back.
Warts Symptoms: What do Warts Look Like?
Before we zoom into more videos and pictures of warts, alongside the treatment options –
The illustration image below shows an overview of different wart types to help you identify warts based on their appearance, symptoms, and location.
- How to Distinguish Skin Tags vs HPV Warts: What are the Differences?
- Best OTC Products to Remove Warts on Finger, Hands and Feet.
- Genital Warts Cream Topical Treatment Guide
Warts Pictures / Images of Different Wart Types
The symptoms and appearance of warts come in varieties, as different Human Papillomavirus tends to infect different part of the body.
Below are more videos and pictures for 8 different types of warts to show what do they look like.
WARNING: This article includes wart graphic images some readers may find disturbing.
#1: Plantar Wart (Verruca)
Plantar warts are also called verrucas. Caused by low-risk HPV strains 1, 2, 4.
Location: Found on the bottom of the foot, such as the soles, heels or balls of the feet.
Plantar Wart Pictures / Symptoms:
- Small, hard bumps, rough, spongy, thick and/or scaly.
- Can look like hard, thick patches of skin with dark specks.
- Flesh-coloured, brown or grey, with tiny black dots on them.
- Often painful due to pressure on the bottom of the foot during standing or walking.
- Pressure of standing/walking may push verruca back into the skin and flatten them.
The images and video below show what do plantar warts look like.
#2: Common Warts
Common warts, represent the most frequent clinical lesions caused by HPV – such as low risk HPV strains 1, 2, 4, 26, 27, 29, 41, 57.
This type of warts are also called “seed warts” as they often have some tiny black or dark dots (which are indeed clotted blood vessels) that look like seeds.
Location: Common warts are most often seen on the hands, on the fingers, arms, elbows, knuckles, on the toes, knees and legs – but any body part can be affected.
Common Wart Pictures / Symptoms:
- Firm, hard, raised bumps with rough surfaces.
- Cauliflower-like appearance, often segmented.
- Can be round or irregular in shape in color of white, brown or grey.
- Painless, no discomfort unless they are in areas of repeated friction or pressure.
The video below contains images of what do a common wart look like.
#3: Mosaic Warts
Mosaic warts are collection of small warts grouped together in a cluster, most often due to untreated common/plantar warts that spread and grow into clusters of several warts.
Mosaic Warts Picture / Symptoms / Location:
- Appear as a group of tightly clustered warts that grow side by side of each other.
- Most commonly appeared on palms on hands and soles of feet.
#4: Flat Warts or Plane Warts
Flat warts, also called plane warts, are smaller and smoother than other types of warts. Caused by low-risk HPV strains 3, 10, 27, 28, 41, 49 – flat warts may spread through shaving.
Location: Flat/Plane warts are most often seen on the legs (especially among females), face, neck, hands, and in men’s beards – but any body part can be affected.
Flat Wart Images / Pictures / Symptoms:
- Smooth, flat topped or slightly raised lumps
- Tend to grow in large numbers, as many as 20 to 100 at any one time.
- Skin-coloured, yellowish, or light brown bump, normally round shaped.
- May present as several or dozens of subtle papules 2-4 mm in diameter elevated above the surface less than a millimeter.
The video below contains images of what do flat warts on leg look like.
#5: Filiform Warts
Filiform warts are fleshy and have ‘finger like’ appearance that protrude from an affected area.
Filiform Wart Picture / Symptoms / Location:
- Appear as thin long threads and flesh colored.
- Painless, no discomfort unless they are in areas of repeated friction.
- Most commonly develop around the eyes (eg.eyelids) or mouth, on the face, nose, neck, lips, and armpits.
Check out the video below that contains images of filiform warts around mouth and lips.
#6: Periungual Warts
Periungual warts, also known as Subungual warts, are warts appear around or under fingernails and toenails.
Periungual Wart Photo / Symptoms / Location:
- Appear as irregular and rough bumps.
- Located around or under fingernails and toenails.
- Wart under fingernail and toenails can cause some discomfort when they extend under the nails.
The surgical procedure in video below contains image of what does a periungual wart around toenail look like.
Recommended Read: Removal of Periungual Warts Around and Under Fingernail / Toenail
#7: Oral Warts
HPV Oral Wart Picture / Symptoms / Location:
- Small, smooth and bumpy.
- May appear as big Cauliflower-like bumps if the wart grows.
- Located in and around the mouth, oral cavity, lips, and throat.
- Usually with the same color of the skin, or may even be a little darker.
The surgical procedure in video below contains image of what does a oral wart on tongue look like.
#8: HPV Genital Warts
Primarily found among adults, genital wart is one of the common sexually transmitted diseases caused by HPV – such as low risk HPV strains 6, 11, 30, 40-44, 54.
As genital warts are sexually transmitted, pubic area like vulva, penis and anus are most commonly affected.
Location: Located directly in the genital area of men (eg. penis) and women mostly in moist areas (e.g. in or around the vagina, anus or groin).
Genital Wart Pictures / Symptoms:
- Lumps or growths with ‘cauliflower’ appearance.
- Soft-to-the-touch, can be either raised or flat around the sex organs.
- Can be round or irregular in shape in color of flesh-coloured, pink or red.
- Often appear in clusters of 3 or 4, and may grow and spread rapidly.
The videos below contains pictures / images of what do genital warts look like, including the detailed illustration by Paul Bolin, M.D. on genital wart symptoms in male and female.
Wart Treatment and Removal Options
There is no “one size fits all” treatment that cures all warts, because warts come in very diverse types, quantities, sizes, and are located in different parts of the body.
It is recommended that you check out this >> one-stop comprehensive wart removal guide here, that covers different options on how to get rid of HPV warts, pro and con analysis, cost comparison, factors to consider before choosing your wart treatment option, and so on.